Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Easter in the Chili household

*warning* boring post ahead!

Easter weekend….
Great time, busy weekend.

Friday
Relaxing morning, I went for a run. Then we headed out for a playdate with friends. The kids played well together, it was just a bummer that it rained all day. My friends were kind enough to invite us to share lunch with them, so LC & I enjoyed some French toast and fresh fruit.

Quiet pizza dinner, ran out for a quick Starbucks (they closed at 7pm – bastards, the nerve of them celebrating a holiday), then read in my car. Just didn’t want to go home, wanted a break from life. Wanted Mr. Chili to put LC down. Sometimes, I just need a break, kwim? So I sat in my car and read the fifth Harry Potter book. I’ve had it for ages, but haven’t had the time to crack the cover. I’m quite enjoying it, although I don’t know when I’ll have the chance again to read it.

Saturday
Busy day. With stores closed on Friday and Sunday, today was the shopping day. So I got up early, and hit Loblaws at 0830, Costco at 1000. Now Loblaws was relatively quiet because I was early – yeah me! Costco, on the other hand, had only opened half an hour prior and was in full chaos mode. But the sad part is that I enjoyed myself. I had no husband and no LC getting impatient. So I just zenned my way through the crowds, spending money like there was no tomorrow… Quite enjoyable, really. After I was done shopping, I hustled home, put away the groceries, then headed out to the Rouge Rive park to meet the boys. Mr. Chili, LC and our dog, Cosmo were at a beautiful conservation area nearby, and had met up with friends of ours (with their Great Dane). The kids and dogs were having a great time. They had already been there for two hours, and LC had walked a tremendous amount. I brought snacks for the kids. Cheesestrings all around! And water and raisins and apple newtons. All favourite snacks in our household. LC and our friend’s daughter sat on a log and munched away, looking adorable.

After that, Mr. Chili took LC in one car, on a mission to get LC to sleep. We knew he was tired after all that walking. But did he sleep? Nope. Not for quite a while. Meantime, I stopped and picked Mr. Chili and I up some lunch. I got exactly two bites in my mouth before Mr. Chili pulled into the driveway, frustrated because LC was still awake. So I took over and drove until LC fell asleep. Unfortunately he only had a short nap, waking up 45 minutes later. After he woke up, I carried him in the house and we just chilled on the couch, as he was obviously still tired.

We headed out again in the afternoon, stopping at a local cycle shop to look at trikes. We bought LC and cute red tricycle and a shiny new bell for it. He actually wasn’t all that enthused at the bike shop – kept wanting to look at the big bikes. We figure (hope?) that he’ll become more interested in his trike as time goes on. After the exciting trike purchase, we headed to my mom’s for easter dinner. It was yummy and LC surprised us by eating a ton of food – the ate asparagus (grilled, then drizzled with olive oil and parmesan cheese), mashed potatoes, peas, lamb, milk. Wow. Had a good time at my parents, except for their dysfunctional arging and tension, which the kids & spouses all just kind of laugh off now.

[Which does raise two points. 1) why the hell do I get my kid to sleep driving and 2) I think he might be close to giving up his nap. Nooooooooooooo!]

Sunday
Mr. Chili had some work to do (from home, thank goodness). Grandma Lois came to visit and we had the best time because we....did the first annual O'Grady easter egg hunt. [Say egg hunt five time. Nasty, eh?] On Saturday night, Mr. Chili and I filled about 20 eggs - with goldfish crackers, rasins, pretzels, yogurt covered pretzels, and yes, some candy - jellybeans, smarties and gummy bears**. We also hid a new set of green matchbox firetrucks. And the piece de resistance, was the new Backyardigans DVD that I bought. It was a lot of fun. Took LC a little while to catch on, but he did. And we helped him a lot - attention span isn't that long, you know.

After the egg hunt, we headed downtown-ish and met friends for lunch. LC was incredibly, unbelieveably well behaved. He sat for at least an hour. Ate coleslaw, tried a chicken wing, wasn't a big fan, ate some of his deep fried mac & cheese wedges (don't ask, it is as disgusting as you might think), and was generally cute. This from the kid who won't sit in a restaurant for more than five minutes ususally. Have no idea what happened, but it was pretty awesome.

After lunch, we headed to the gelato place up the street, which was closed to a fluke. So I settled (heh) for a SB chai. We headed over to a local school w/new playground equipment. LC had the best time, running around, going down the slide, etc. We had a good time chatting with our frineds we hadn't seen in months.

Now you'd think LC would be tired after this, right? Well, he was. But did he want to sleep, not so much. He only napped for 45 minutes. Please oh please don't tell me he's dropping his nap!!!!

Good dinner, fun bath and then bedtime. Which is now taking an hour plus. Another trend which I hope doesn't last.

** LC loved the gummy bears. Seems to be universal amongst kids. Why? The texture kinda creeps me out. Hmph.

No comments:



hits