Monday, January 28, 2008

House of plague

I am seriously going to rename our humble abode "the house of plague". After packing LC off to school this morning with a song in my heart and a skip in my step, I was shocked when the doctor's office called to tell me that the throat swab they took last week for LC? The one that was a formality? That the doctor asked me if I really wanted it? Yeah, that one. It came back positive for strep. I felt awful that we sent him to school while he was infectious, but honestly, he seemed fine. Back to normal. I had to pick him up from school immediately, begged Mr. Chili to come home and watch LC so I could take Pepperette and myself to the doctors to check if we had strep and pickup LC's prescription.

LC was quite happy to be picked up from school early. He said he felt fine. It was tempting to skip the antibiotics, but I didn't want him to get sick again. And there is the whole 'can't go back to school until he's been on antibiotics for 24 hours'. Oh - and when I described to the doctor LC's fever, full body rash and positive strep test, he commented that LC likely had scarlet fever. WTF? Isn't scarlet fever a big deal? As in you can die from it? Obviously you can get a mild case.

LC will be home again on Tuesday. And I can't take him out to a playgym to burn off that energy while he's contagious. Wish me luck. I am distinctly cranky about a second week of disruption of my precious time without LC so I can get things done. At least the doctor didn't think I have strep. I really hope not. The thought of taking antibiotics terrifies me. If I get a thrush flareup from something as small as eating a bit of avacado, I can only imagine how severe the thrush would be if I took antibiotics. Having had thrush before, I'm pretty sure this is just a cold.

A programming note: I love my iPod touch, and its the only reason I'm managing to post at all. However, I don't have full editing and it's hard to view the entire post, so it is really tough to maintain any continuity of narrative. My apologies to the zero readers of this blog. Ah well. It feels good to get some of these thoughts out of my head.

No comments:



hits