Monday, January 28, 2008

A great movie

Sorry for the incomplete post. I was interupted by small children and had to post, lest I lose the entire thing.

Last night, after both kids were asleep, I sat down and watched a movie. I'm coming down with a cold, complete with body aches and a sinus headache. Staying up til midnight was not a smart thing to do. But I had heard so many good things about this movie that I finally rented it on Sat night. It was totally worth staying up for.

"Once" is a lovely film. It has so many elements that resonate with me - it's set in Ireland, features lots of gorgeous acoustic guitar-driven music, and feels very real. I tried to get Mr. Chili to watch it with me, but as soon as the word "musical" passed my lips, his eyes glazed and he said he was going to bed.

This is not a typical musical. There's no 'spontaneous' breaking into song. Instead it's about a guy and a girl who sing together. It's a simple little story. The music is so good that I really want to buy the soundtrack. I played the french horn for many years, with a number of groups, some semi-professional. One of the groups I played made a couple of recordings so I could totally relate to the recording process as shown in the movie. The thing that the movie really nailed was the pure joy and sense of connection that you get when you're playing. It's hard to describe the transcendent joy that happens when you're completely in synch with someone.

I'm going to cut this off now before I ramble on further. Blame it on the cold.

No comments:



hits