Thursday, March 30, 2006

2.5 years of breastfeeding

I am very, very proud that I breastfed my son for 2.5 years. The WHO standard (not the best link, sorry) is to breastfeed exclusively for six months, and then introduce complementary foods and continue breastfeeding until two years and beyond. I didn't know about this standard when I had my son, but we had all sorts of problems getting started breastfeeding and I had to learn a lot in a hurry. (A separate post on our troubles later.)

From the age of two, LC was nursing less and less often. Most days, it was 1-2 times a day - once at bedtime and once when he woke up. For the most part, it was a lovely way to spend time with him, was easy and made him so happy. I was in no rush to give it up. And he knew how to go to sleep without nursing - he's been falling asleep at montessori school naptimes for over a year. And the occasional evening when I was out past bedtime, Mr. Chili was able to help him go to sleep. Of course, some days LC nursed more - if he was teething or sick or just out of sort, it might go up to 3-4 times a day. By Jan-06, it was usually only once a day - at bedtime.

Early in the year, I found out that I had to go on a business trip at the end of Feb. I was sad and excited. I had managed to avoid all travel for the first 2.5 years of LC's life and I was happy about that. But I had to be away from him sometime. I would rather have had the timing be of my choosing, but *shrug* it was out of my hands. Up to that point, I had been letting LC set the pace of our child-lead weaning. Once I left on my trip, I anxiously checked in with Mr. Chili. They were having a great time. He fussed a bit at bedtime but quickly adjusted to my absence.

I had the choice of pumping to maintain my supply while I was gone. I packed my breastpump. But I was ready for LC to be done and I believed he was ready too. I was wondering if I would get engorged or any of the other problems other women encounter when weaning. Instead I had the most amazing experience. I had no fullness, no engorgement. I felt a bit of tingling the first and second day, that was it. I couldn't hand express milk by the third day (not that I tried very hard). I also felt great mentally - I felt strong, I felt good, I felt a sense of liberation. A bit of sadness that this chapter was done, especially since LC is likely to be our only child. But I felt an overwhelming sense of rightness. So no hormonal crash for me. All of this - LC 's reaction and my response - tell me that this was the right time for us to stop breastfeeding.

When I got home from my business trip, LC was asleep. I had been gone for six days. I cuddled up with him in bed. He woke long enough to give me a sleepy smile, roll over and ask to nurse. I removed my bra (no more nursing bras!) and lifted up my shirt for him. He latched and sucked for few moments. I asked if he was getting any milk. He came off, looked at me and said, "no". I told him that the milk was gone, but that I would cuddle with him and rub his back instead. I also said that he was a big boy now and how proud I was of him. He repeated back to me, "Milk all gone?" "Yes honey" And that was that. He asked at bedtime the next couple of nights, but more to confirm that the milk was gone. He hasn't asked to nurse in a long time now. I'm so proud of us.

No comments:



hits