Thursday, November 23, 2006

Things that make me laugh, pt 4

Seen in a meeting invitation:

"Meeting agenda will be updated weakly. "

*snort*
I work in a place where for the majority, English is a second language. I really respect how hard it is to learn a second language, especially as an adult, especially English. Having said that, there are things that I read that just make me giggle. It's either that or get annoyed.
I am a picky about using proper spelling and grammar. I definitely have editorial instincts. (Although perhaps not with my own stuff.) I get frustrated by what people who are too lazy to run spell check - come on now, it's not that hard. No, it won't catch everything* but it will catch most typos. I don't find the grammar checking tools very useful, but I will run them when I'm sending out a major document for review. I get really annoyed when I can't understand what the person is trying to say, usually about a very technical issue, because the sentence is structured so poorly. Aaaaarrrrrggghh! I want to spend my time reviewing your document's content, not your form.
*Does anyone else find it funny that Blogger's spell check doesn't know the word "blog"?
P.S. I'm wondering how many errors there are in this post. I'm all self-conscious now.
P.P. S. And what the hell am I doing up at this hour? Again! I'm so self-destructive sometime. I was working before. Now it's 0230 EST. I'm going to be exhausted tomorrow. More exhausted than I already am. For goodness sakes - why am I working overtime for a company that doesn't even want me?

No comments:



hits