Thursday, November 09, 2006

Thank goodness it's Thursday.

Yes, I know that's not the original expression. But really, it applies. Only one more day til Mr. Chili is home. Mr. Chili left town on Tuesday morning for a business trip. LC is very attached to fun daddy. Very, very attached. Which I am a-okay with* because it was all about me for the first two years of LC's life. Sound the trumpets, because Mr. Chili is going to be home...tomorrow! And I am going to work from home tomorrow so I can do my conference calls while mopping the floor and not have to commute and rush to do drop-off and pickup.

There is a pattern to how LC responds to Mr. Chili's absences.

First day
  • Fussier than usual. Hair trigger on the meltdowns.
  • The dog is whinier too.
  • I feel harried as I try to adjust to doing all myself. Makes me realize how very wonderful Mr. Chili is.
  • We talk to daddy on the phone. The guys have a really good conversation. It's very cute to observe. (Love the speaker phone feature on our cordless - it works really well.)

Second, third, etc. day
  • New normal. We have all adjusted. The dog is whining less. The cat, well, who knows what the cat notices.
  • It's just my buddy LC and me. Fewer tantrums. Less fussy. We make dinner together, we read stories together, we talk to daddy on the phone. Only the conversation is shorter. LC just isn't as interested in talking to fun daddy.
  • When LC asks about daddy - especially when he's whining in the morning that he misses daddy - I tell him that daddy will be home soon (luckily he doesn't call me on when "soon" is). I tell him that I miss daddy too.

Last day
  • To keep us both going, I start telling LC that daddy is coming home tomorrow. Very exciting. I only say this when I am absolutely positive that Mr. Chili is in transit and will make it home. I do not want to deal with a disappointed toddler.
  • Usually it's Friday. To get us out of the house and reward us for surviving, we head to McD's and have dinner, followed by some fun time at Playland. Then *fingers crossed* fun daddy is home before bedtime. And le voila - we have survived another week without daddy.
I am exhausted by the time Mr. Chili gets home. I never go to bed early enough on a good night, and when I have to do all the household stuff, plus catch up on some work, and am pregnant, I just end up exhausted by Friday. Man, am I a whiner!

* Okay, I do get a little jealous of how important daddy is and wish that I didn't get so cruelly rejected by LC. I mean it hurts when a three year old tells you to "go away". No matter that it's not rational. Sometimes I feel like this is preparation for the first time a teenage (or ten year old?) LC tells me he hates me. 'Cause that is gonna happen.

No comments:



hits