Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Running (or should I say jogging very slowly?)

I finally started running again. Running is a serious overstatement of what I am doing. I'm following a 10km running program that gradually builds up distance and time. And this time back, I don't care that I'm slow. I am just happy to be moving again. I don't realize how much I miss running until I start again. I feel better mentally and physically. Forgive me if I sound "holier than thou", sometimes cliches are based in truth.

I started running in 1997. I worked my way from lump-on-the-couch up to 5km, then 10km. Then I decided I wanted to run a marathon. So in 2000, I trained and ran my marathon. It really hurt. I was very slow. But I finished in 4h39m. And I will always be proud of that. I decided after that marathon training is just too demanding. It's not the race, it's the training that takes over your life. And I just haven't ever had that burning urge to do another one. So I've stuck with half marathons as my longest race since.

I stopped running in 2003 when I got pregnant and had a threatened miscarriage. I didn't start again until LC was seven months old in 2004. It was a long, slow ramp up after LC too. After a frustrating false start, I signed up with the Running Room and did their Learn to Run clinic. It was a great way to get started again. I met some great women and continued on with them to the half marathon clinic, where I trained for and ran the Las Vegas half marathon in 2005. It was a great race - not so much my time, but the overall experience. Training for the Las Vegas race really helped me regain my mental health and climb out of the pit of PPD.

Post-Pepperette, I am using this program. I don't have the time to go to my local Running Room store right now. With two kids, it's challenging to carve out the time. Whereas LC hated the jogging stroller and screamed after 20 minutes, Pepperette is pretty good and generally naps in it. I've been getting out with a good mom friend of mine when both of our older kids are in school, and we take the babies out in her double stroller, taking turns pushing it. It just feels damn good to be doing something good for me.

Tomorrow is Week 5, run 2. Warm up 5 min walking. Run 2, walk 1, 8 times. Cool down 5 min walking. Should be good.

Bedtime. Bye.

No comments:



hits