Tuesday, February 27, 2007

PPD - Am I nuts to do this again?

Really, it's a bit late to be changing my mind...but the question is still valid.

Almost finished reading a really good book about having a baby after experiencing PPD. (Full disclosure: the only PPD-related book I read.) The book is called, "What Am I Thinking?", subtitled, "Having a baby after postpartum depression". The author is Karen Kleiman.


She has also written a couple of other PPD-related books, "This Isn't What I Expected: Overcoming Postpartum Depression" (bought but not read yet) and "The Postpartum Husband: Practical Solutions for Living with Postpartum Depression".

It's a short read, 146 pages, and written in an easy-to-read style. I found myself nodding in response to many of the sections the author wrote about - from what PPD felt like, to things that people said that did and did not help, to the decision to "do it all again".*

There are some good worksheets that the author suggests completing - some intended for you, some for your therapist, some for you to your post-partum self, some for your spouse/partner, etc. I'm going to be working on some in the next day or two and will share them.

* Quoting Emily's blog "Doing it all again" - a great read about parenting, life, and PPD.

No comments:



hits